Exam season can bring on levels of stress and burnout that can hinder your studies. Here are some handy tips on how to manage your anxiety.
10 quick ways to help eliminate exam stress
- Watch a film, a TV show or listen to a podcast or comedian that makes you laugh.
- Drink some herbal tea or a hot chocolate. It’s a well known fact that hot drinks are known to soothe the soul (avoid too much caffeine though!).
- A shower or a bath can help to relieve stress.
- Cook or bake something. Just the thought of having something delicious to eat can bring you joy. As a bonus side note, try and cook something healthy too. You can’t feed your mind well, if you don’t feed your body well.
- Get some sleep. The virtues of a good night’s sleep during exam season should not be underestimated.
- Keep things in perspective. Yes, exams are important. But you are so much more than your exam results.
- Avoid other stressed people. You know the ones I mean. The ones with cue cards outside of the exam hall, frantically trying to remember key dates and equations. They will do nothing for your stress levels.
- Avoid the exam “post-mortem”. You don’t need to know how other people fared in the exam. You’ve done your best, you can’t go back and change your answers so the second you step out of the exam hall, focus on your next exam.
- Be flexible. While having a revision time table is one of the best tools in your arsenal for exam success, don’t be too hard on yourself if you don’t stick to it. If you accidentally oversleep, don’t write the day off.
- Write down everything you feel like you need to do and try and tick one thing off. Just the act of feeling like you are in control of your revision can help.